Trancoso is a district in the city of Porto Seguro, Bahia State, Brazil. According to the captain of the sea-and-war Max Justo Guedes, the Navy Documentation Service in Rio was the Friars in Trancoso, that Cabral's fleet landed on 23 April 1500, taking over from Brazil on behalf of Portugal.
The current village of Trancoso stems from a Jesuit village called St. John the Baptist of the Indians, founded in 1586. The town remained nationally unknown until discovered in the late 1970s porhippies. At the time, it was just a group of houses arranged around a large lawn (called "Square"), with a church in the background, where we had a panoramic view of the sea. Today, this space is St. John Square in the city's Old Town. From the 1990s, with the increase of tourism in the state and the construction of roads and airports, the tourism potential of the region experienced a rapid growth.
In Trancoso, the main economic activity is tourism. For the richer classes, there is installed one of the hotels in the chain Club Mediterranee. Thanks to this influx, also the craft has developed, with primitivists features. On January 20 of each year is celebrated the Feast of St. Sebastian, very popular and cheerful, where all the native population as well as tourists are involved. At the feast, the men carrying a wooden mast over meters meters high, topped with the flag of Saint Sebastian, replacing the previous year.