Palmeiras is a municipality in the state of Bahia. Is located at a latitude 12º31'44 "south and longitude 41º33'32" west, with an altitude of 697 meters. Its estimated population in 2004 was 7711 inhabitants. It has an area of 698.462 km².
Before the colonial exploitation of the interior of the current state of Bahia, the region where there is currently Palmeiras municipality was inhabited by indigenous tapuia the nation. With the beginning of the occupation of the settlers in the region, the natives began to evacuate the area.
Early in the second half of the eighteenth century, families of small farmers, Portuguese descent, settled in Lavrinha on the banks of Boiadeira road. The Lavrinha had its heyday with the discovery of small mines diamonds. Then, in 1855, came miners Mucuge, Sheets, Andaraí, the interior of Bahia and Minas Gerais. The exploitation of diamond, Lavrinha of tapera became a prosperous village. The architecture is refined, and part of the native population became prospectors. With the money from mining, was invested in agriculture and mining itself. Gradually arose small towns like: Fundão, Cross, Stream, Laranjo and others.
With the decrease of diamonds, the camp fell into decay. Today, the Palm cradle is a small settlement based on agriculture.