Maragogi is a municipality in the micro-region of the North Coast of Alagoas, in the Alagoas mesoregion East, in the state of Alagoas, Brazil. It is located 125 km from Maceió, the state capital. It is located at latitude 09º00'44 "south and longitude 35º13'21" West, with an altitude of 5 meters.
Its estimated population in 2011 was 29,280 inhabitants. The average temperature is 27 degrees Fahrenheit. Its economy is based on tourism, fishing and agriculture. The beauty of its beaches makes it one of the most important tourist centers of the region.
Around the year 1000, most of the current Brazilian coast, including the current municipality of Maragogi, was invaded by Tupi people coming from Amazon. They drove out the ancient inhabitants, the chamadostapuias, into the continent. In the 16th century, when the first European explorers arrived in the area, it was occupied by the Tupi tribe of caetés.7
According to historical data, the colonization of Portuguese origin began when a countryman came to the area with family. He fled from an epidemic and made a promise to St. Benedict to heal. To recover, the countryman fulfill its promise, building a church in honor of the saint. The site, one of the most beautiful beaches of the city, won the holy name, it still holds today.
Maragogi has great importance in Brazilian history. Dutch and Portuguese disputed their land for several years. But it was the inhabitants of Maragogi Village - without resources but with heroism - that prevented dismantled and the Dutch attempted landing in Alagoas.
It was created as village in 1875 under the name "Isabel". In the same year, a law transferred the parish of St. Benedict to Maragogi. Changed its name to Maragogi the following year, the same name of a river that bathes the city. In May 1892, was elevated to city status, dismembered Porto Calvo. In 1960, lost Japaratinga district transformed into municipality.