Jijoca de Jericoacoara is the northernmost city of the Brazilian state of Ceará, whose main natural attraction Jericoacoara. The indication of Jericoacoara in the territory and history of Ceará, comes well before the creation of Acaraú8 district or the discovery of this by international tourism in the mid-1970s.
This was already indicated in the geographical maps of the seventeenth century,. Area known as part of the land of the Tremembé Indians, was village and strong at the operating point of Our Lady of the Rosary, which served as a support to the Portuguese in the battles against the French who occupied the Maranhao.
According to the historian Raimundo Girao, "In 1614, after landing in Iguape, Aquiraz, and linger in Ceará, Fort of São Sebastião, Soares Moreno, was Jerome de Albuquerque in Jericoacoara region, there raised the foot saw a small fortress with wooden stakes - the Fort of Our Lady of the Rosary, and it was concluded on 5 October of the same year, the feast in honor of saint. "
Raimundo Girão continues: "In the same year this fort was attacked on July 18 by the people of Du Prat, French pirate, composing the crew of a ship but is repelled heroically ...". This Fortescue referred to the historian is located in a cove, the old Acaraú district established by municipal law No. 94, June 1923, called Jericoacoara.