Ilha de Itamaracá
The Itamaracá Island is an island on the coast of the state of Pernambuco, Brazil. It is also up in a city, a member of the Metropolitan Region of Recife. It is separated from the mainland by the Santa Cruz channel. The first inhabitants were shipwrecked, and there are records of the passage of the Portuguese João Coelho of the Cross Gate and Duarte Pacheco Pereira, in 1493 and 1498, respectively.
In 1526, there was already a chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Conception, Father of the responsibility of Francisco Garcia, the Old Town, located on the left bank of the Canal of Santa Cruz. The island prospered in the shadow of the sugar economy. In 1630, the Old Town possessed hundred houses and a Santa Casa de Misericordia.
The Dutch invaded the island in 1631 and there erected the Fort Orange, the south entrance of the Santa Cruz channel, built of rammed earth. The fort had this name in honor of the Dutch Prince Frederick Henry of Orange, Maurice uncle of Nassau. The Itamaracá served as the Dutch barn. Later, the fort was renamed Fort of Santa Cruz, already under Portuguese rule
In 1763, King Dom João V bought the island to the Portuguese Crown in 4000 crossed. The district was created on May 1, 1866, the Provincial Law 676. In the twentieth century, 1958, founded the current city detaching from the municipality of Igarassu. In 1962 the seat of the municipality of Itamaracá, Pilar, was elevated to City and years later category in 1968 was awarded by the tour company of Pernambuco, EMPETUR, with the title of City of Tourist Interest of the State of Pernambuco.