Gravatá is a municipality in the state of Pernambuco. Located at latitude 8º12'04 "south and longitude 35º33'53" West, with an altitude of 447 meters, is located 84 km from the capital Recife.
The Gravatá municipality had its origins on a farm in 1808, belonging to José Justino Carreiro de Miranda, this place that served as lodging for travelers who would market the sugar and beef, main products of the time, who were taken into the vessels Recife to the interior to the cities of Caruaru, Fishing, Arcoverde, among other cities in the wild and Pernambuco hinterland.
How to navigate the river Ipojuca was difficult, traders were required to make strategic stops to avoid also the cattle lose weight. One of these stops was known as Crauatá, name, derived from the Tupi Karawatã ("bush sticking"), due to the predominance of a plant of the bromeliad family genre, also called caraguatá, caroatá, caroá and gravatá.
It was in the late eighteenth century - 1797 or early 1798 that José Justino Carreiro de Miranda took possession of Gravesend Farm that long, served as lodging for travelers and as a natural consequence, there were two arruados, one on each bank of the river .
In 1816 began the construction of a chapel dedicated to St. Anne that in 1822 probably on 26 July, dedicated by the Catholic Church to St. Anne, would be completed by his son John Felix Justinian. Then the land was divided into 100 lots and sold to residents, beginning the town of Gravesend, one district in calves.
Finally on May 25, 1857, 35 years since the inauguration of the chapel, the Provincial Law 422 was the high village the parish of Gravesend. It was the first commissioned vicar of the new parish priest Joaquim da Cunha Cavalcanti, being made the registration authority in Book of weddings this year.
In the Project Charter is the name provisor Francisco José Tavares da Gama and the date of September 7, 1857, when he reached the interim priest. The Date-based description of the parish was taken solemnly on the day of arrival of the tonsured, the actual foundation of the great dream of gravataenses Catholics. At the time it was carried out the first official christening these lands.
It was the parvolo Joseph, born in July of this year, legitimate son of Joseph and Mary Firmino da Conceição. Twenty days later, 27 of the said month, checked up the first marriage, which was, as act of the document, held "in the private chapel of the mill" Penon ", and officiated by Father Francisco Seabra d'Andrade, - sure asked another parish - and grooms Manuel Tomás da Silva and Inez Frances Lisboa.